About Community School
Community School serves students ages 3 through 14. We offer the following:
Early Learners (ages 3-6) Extended Care
Elementary (ages 5-11) Homeschool Enrichment
Middle School (ages 10-14)
- A Community School education is challenging, experiential, and cooperative.
- We actively engage students through hands-on activities, simulations, role plays, experiments, field studies, and service learning projects.
- We address all avenues of development: cognitive, social, emotional, and physical.
- Our flexible learning environment nurtures children's individual learning styles.
- In spring 2014, we opened a new STEM lab to facilitate inquiry-based learning and allow all our students to enjoy a more comprehensive interdisciplinary approach to the study of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- In 2007, we received a national award from the American Psychological Association for our innovative educational and employment practices.
- We are the only school in the Roanoke Valley to fully integrate art, music, drama, technology, and service learning into our core curriculum.
- We were the first school in southwest Virginia to fully adopt a peaceable school philosophy.
- We have taught Spanish to all our students, preschool through middle school, for 30 years. We also operate the longest-running international exchange program for middle school students of any school in the Roanoke Valley.
- At Community School, children learn naturally through play, exploration, and experimentation.
- Our teachers design lessons that encourage students to ask questions and search for information.
- Our non-graded curriculum enables students to take chances and tackle challenges.
- The arts, Spanish, and technology classes challenge children to think and communicate creatively.
- Daily outdoor play inspires exploration of the environment, physical abilities, and the complex social interactions of childhood.